AS level English Language and Literature
In this course, students are given a range of opportunities to study texts and practise producing their own writing for different audiences and purposes and to study prose, poetry and drama texts from a prescribed list. The course appeals to a wide range of students, offering the opportunity to examine and understand the English language and develop writing skills. Further and wider reading is essential and students should be prepared to read extensively throughout the course.
This course is held on a Monday 4 to 6pm and Wednesday 4 to 6pm.
What will I study?
- Language, its use and effects in literary and non-literary texts
- Study of written and spoken texts
- Poetry, prose, drama and non-literary texts
- Creating texts for different audiences and purposes
How will I be assessed?
Assessment will be through a combination of exams and coursework.
- Five GCSEs grade A*-C/ 4-9
- Successful interview demonstrating motivation and commitment to the course and an initial assessment
Successful students may wish to progress onto higher education. Students often progress onto degrees in English Language and Literature.
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.