Technical Level Three Certificate in Childcare and Education (Early years Educator) Year One/ Technical Level Three Diploma in Childcare and Education (Early Years Educator) Year Two
These courses are suitable for a range of learners either working or wishing to work in early years education and care. The Diploma is also suitable for those wishing to progress to Higher Education. In Year 1 students will complete the Certificate and then progress onto the Diploma in Year 2 subject to good progress.
What will I study?
- Child development from conception to seven years
- Children’s health and well-being
- Providing safe environments for children
- Child health
- Play and learning
- Understanding children’s additional needs
- Reflective practice for professional development
- Professional partnerships in Early Years
- Professional Practice Portfolio
In addition there will be specialist units, with links to practice.
The course requires you to undertake at least 365 placement hours for the Certificate and 750 hours for the Diploma.
How will I be assessed?
A variety of assessment methods are used including assignments, presentations, displays and written reports. All units will be internally assessed using a range of methods. All units are graded A*-D.
Learners must also complete the extended assessments which are externally set, and externally marked. There is a maximum of two opportunities for learners to attempt each of the External Assessments in order to achieve a pass grade or to improve a grade.
- Four GCSEs grade A*-C/4-9 including English and Maths grade D/3 or above
- Or level two diploma (merit) level two certificate (Grade C or above)
- Or equivalent
The Technical Level Three Diploma in Childcare and Education (Early Years Educator) enables learners to access Higher Education, including the College’s own Foundation Degrees. Alternatively, learners can progress into various job roles in the statutory, voluntary or private sectors such as:
• Early Years Educator (Diploma only)
• Practitioner in day nurseries
• Practitioner in nursery schools
• Practitioner in reception classes in primary schools
• Pre-school worker
• Home based childcarer
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.