Butchery, Level Two Apprenticeship
Butchery is one of the oldest crafts in the world, and is often where innovation meets tradition to create an industry full of character and camaraderie that plays a critical role in our social and economic future. A successful butcher must demonstrate dexterous knife skills together with craft to be able to produce the most cuts to make every carcase profitable.
Butchers work in the meat and poultry industry, which is worth several billion pounds in the UK and employs thousands of workers in the farm to fork supply chain. Qualified butchers can look forward to rewarding careers in a range of environments with different types of employers. Employers include both processors and retailers. Processors range from multi-national processing businesses supplying meat or meat products to, for example: large food outlets, supermarkets and hotel chains; to smaller processors supplying for example, independent/local food businesses. Retailers could include supermarkets, independent retailers and farm shops. Those with an entrepreneurial spirit may be particularly attracted to butchery as the sector relies on a high proportion of small businesses, offering the potential for experienced butchers to set up on their own.
What will I study?
- butchery principles - including meat and poultry species and selection and supply chain and slaughter practices - for example Halal and Kosher
- knife skills - including cutting, boning, trimming and mincing of meat
- health and safety practices, food safety and hygiene and key legislation
- processing and production techniques - including preparing and packaging meat
- using specialist tools and machinery - including hand saws, cleavers, banding needles, meat cutters and slicers
- business profitability and maximising productivity, efficiency and customer care
- specialist retail shop or processing plant butchery skills
Level 2 English and mathematics
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.