Level Two Certificate in Mental Health Awareness
The Certificate in Mental Health Studies will appeal to a wide range of people with an interest in this complex and challenging topic – including health and social care practitioners, service users/survivors, and friends and families. It uses a holistic framework to explore ideas and practice in mental health – encouraging you to review your own beliefs and experiences and to challenge yourself and others on a more informed footing. It also examines how social, environmental, economic and political factors shape and constrain our understandings and experiences of mental health and distress.
What will I study?
This course is made up of 13 units including:
- Unit 1: Understanding mental health
- Unit 2: Understanding stress
- Unit 3: Understanding anxiety
- Unit 4: Understanding phobias
- Unit 5: Understanding depression
- Unit 6: Understanding post-natal depression
- Unit 7: Understanding bipolar depression
- Unit 8: Understanding schizophrenia
- Unit 9: Understanding dementia
- Unit 10: Understanding eating disorders
- Unit 11: Understanding attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Unit 12: Understanding obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Unit 13: Understanding post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
How will the course be delivered?
This certificate course aims to:
- Develop your knowledge and understanding of mental health and distress in relation to individuals, institutions and the wider society
- Help you explore the diverse and frequently competing perspectives that characterise the world of mental health
- Develop and improve practice in health and social care services for people experiencing mental distress or ill-health.
There are no formal entry requirements to study this certificate. However, this is a Level 2 certificate. You should ensure that you have adequate study skills, such as gained from Level 1 study or its equivalent, before you begin.
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.