City and Guilds Functional Skills English (online)
East Riding College are committed to improving accessibility to learn in a way to meet your needs. Are you finding it difficult to manage the day job, home life and attending a class to improve your English skills? Are you aged 19+ and do not already have a GCSE Grade C/4 in English? We have an exciting new opportunity which will break down those barriers and allow you to study towards English Functional Skills qualifications anytime, anywhere with our new blended approach.
Before considering this new online learning approach, you need to be confident and committed that you:
- Understand that online courses could be completed in more or less time than the classes depending on your motivation but expect, this is typically over 3-5 months giving an average of 2-3 hours personal study a week depending on level and skills gaps.
- Have good organisational skills and the ability to be an independent worker
- Have the ability to manage your time well and be self-disciplined in order to complete work timely as set by your dedicated online tutor
- Understand that online courses often require you to use several different technologies
- Expect collaboration with the teacher through various online communication methods including email, telephone and potentially Skype.
- Expect to see your teacher for an informal interview/ induction and initial assessment and diagnostic assessment within the college to identify the appropriate level of qualification for study and highlight your skills gaps. Most importantly that his is the right qualification for you and your progress!
- Expect to attend a minimum of 3 progress tutorials throughout the qualification as arranged with your online tutor to support the completion of the 3 examinations/assessments (Reading/Writing and Speaking and Listening).
- Have competent IT skills and have the ability to:
- Have access to the internet and a computer/compatible SMART device
- Use an internet browser such as Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.
- Navigate a website
- Download and install browser plug-ins (if applicable)
- Create, modify and save electronic documents
- Manage electronic files
- Upload and/or download an electronic file
- Utilise emails
*There will be £29 fee for this course for examining body registration fees which may be refundable if you complete within the agreed timescales on your Individual Learning Plan.
For further information and informal discussion about this course, please contact eFunctionalSkills@eastridingcollege.ac.uk or see further information on our website.
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.