Commis Chef, Level Two Apprenticeship
A commis chef is the most common starting position in many kitchens and in principal the most junior culinary role. A commis chef prepares food and carries out basic cooking tasks under the supervision of a more senior chef. The primary objective of the commis chef is to learn and understand how to carry out the basic functions in every section of the kitchen. Therefore having the opportunity to experience, consider and value each section with a view to choosing an area where they feel most inspired. The learning journey of any chef will vary considerably from one individual to the next; however it is necessary to understand and have experience in the basics that this role provides in order to progress to any future senior chef role.
What will I study?
- principles of basic food preparation and cooking
- food safety standards, practices and procedures, and personal hygiene standards
- stock checks, stock control and waste management
- setting up, preparing and cleaning their working environment
- identifying commonly used knives and equipment and their specific uses
- team working and developing working relationships
A chef de partie role or senior production chef role.
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.