Introduction to Creative Writing
The course is an introduction to creative writing, and it is suitable for both beginners and those who have practised creative writing before. The focus of this short course is on writing for pleasure rather than publication and encourages learners to explore their creativity through exploring different forms as well as developing their writing practice.
What will I study?
Each week the group will focus on a creative writing form, discuss work(s) that help explore it and practice writing exercises. There will be opportunities to share work and receive feedback from the group, should writers wish to do so, but this is not mandatory.
Each week the forms that will be discussed are:
- Getting creative - poetry/experimental form
- Life writing - expressing yourself/ ‘writing what you know’
- The Novel - character, plot, timing and point of view
- Short fiction - short story and ‘micro’ fiction
- Scriptwriting - dialogue, plot and story arc
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.