English Skills Development
This course is to help people improve their English skills and to achieve a national certificate(s) at entry Level three, Level one or two. Level one is equivalent to GCSE at D to G grades and Level two is equivalent to A* to C grades.
This course is offered on different days and times at Beverley and Bridlington please check the on-line part-time prospectus for dates and times.
For more information on how to enrol on this course, telephone 0345 120 0044
What will I study?
Practical day-to-day skills:
- Reading a variety of texts, including letters, timetables and simple reports
- Writing messages, instructions, informal and formal letters and reports
- Formats and styles of texts appropriate for different purposes and audiences
- Sentence structure
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed for the National Certificate in Adult Literacy at a level appropriate to your ability. Assessment will be made by a reading test when you and your tutor consider you are ready to take it. The test can be taken online or as a paper-based test. You will receive a provisional result at the end of an online test.
This course is for people who want to brush up their English skills and who are already able to do some of the following:
- Read and understand a formal letter, for example: A letter from a credit card company or a letter from the hospital
- Write, for example: A letter to a friend or to accept an invitation
- Promotion within your present organisation
- Better employment prospects
- Entry to further/higher education
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.