English Skills Development
This course is to help people improve their English skills and to achieve a national certificate(s) at entry level three, level one or two. Level one is equivalent to GCSE at D to G grades and level two is equivalent to A* to C grades.
This course is offered on different days and times at Beverley and Bridlington please check the on-line part-time prospectus for dates and times.
For more information on how to enrol on this course, telephone 0345 120 0044
What will I study?
Practical day-to-day skills:
- Reading a variety of texts, including letters, timetables and simple reports;
- Writing messages, instructions, informal and formal letters and reports
- Formats and styles of texts appropriate for different purposes and audiences;
- Sentence structure
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed for the National Certificate in Adult Literacy at a level appropriate to your ability. Assessment will be made by a reading test when you and your tutor consider you are ready to take it. The test can be taken on-line or as a paper-based test. You will receive a provisional result at the end of an on-line test.
This course is for people who want to brush up their English skills and who are already able to do some of the following:
- Read and understand a formal letter, for example: A letter from a credit card company or a letter from the hospital
- Write, for example: A letter to a friend or to accept an invitation
- Promotion within your present organisation
- Better employment prospects
- Entry to further/higher education
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.