Level Two Certificate in Gym Instruction
This qualification is aimed at the learner who wants to pursue a career in the health and fitness industry as a fitness instructor in the context of gym-based exercise.
What will I study?
- Anatomy and physiology including:
- The heart and circulatory system
- The respiratory system
- Ttructure and function of the skeleton
- Musculoskeletal system
- Postural and core stability
- The nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercise
- How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
- How to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients, the health benefits of physical activity and the importance of healthy eating
- How to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- The skills and knowledge required to plan and prepare a gym-based exercise programme
How will I be assessed?
The course is assessed through a series of practical observations, externally set and marked multiple choice theory tests and the completion of mandatory worksheets.
There are no formal entry requirements however learners must have a genuine interest in health and fitness and the willingness to complete additional home study throughout the duration of the course.
You could progress to more advanced courses in the sport and fitness area, including the Level Three BTEC National Foundation/ Extended Diploma in Sport Coaching and Development or the Foundation Degree (FdSc) in Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences or into employment within the health and fitness industry.
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.