Introduction to Counselling Skills
For those with no experience of using counselling/communication skills in a helping role
A taster qualification run over 3 weeks (100% attendance is a must)
Should Coronavirus guidelines change, this course will switch to online learning. For this, learners will need a device such as a laptop or PC or phone/iPad and a internet connection to take part. Ideally, devices will also have webcams for full participation. Learners will need to download the Teams app onto their laptop/PC or mobile phone/other device and devices will need to have a camera so that they can participate.
What will I study?
An experiential course designed to develop knowledge, understanding and practical use of counselling skills, to include:
- Non-verbal awareness and understanding
- Verbal responding, the appropriate use of reflecting, paraphrasing and questioning skills
- The setting of appropriate boundaries – learning how to say no
- Introduction to key qualities of empathy, unconditional positive regard and congruence.
How will I be assessed?
This is a non-accredited course with no exam at the end, but the tutor will monitor progress and give feedback.
How will the course be delivered?
- Use of Internet resources
- Case Studies
No previous experience is required.
Course may highlight need to do English, Maths or Computer Applications in preparation for Levels 2 and 3.
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.