Level Four BTEC Higher National Certificate (HNC) in Construction
This course is highly regarded in the construction industry, giving you the opportunity to continue your studies to a higher level, and is aimed at people who are looking to progress their career away from “hands-on” work. It will give you the skills needed for technician and junior management posts throughout the built environment and construction sector in areas such as architectural technology, quantity surveying, estimating, building surveying and construction management in the public and private sector.
After completing your higher national certificate, there is the option to top up to a higher national diploma, which is a level five qualification.
What will I study?
The course will cover the following units.
- Design Principles and Application for Construction and the Built Environment
- Computer-aided Design for Construction
- Conversion and Adaptation of Buildings
- Science and Materials for Construction and the Built Environment
- Group Project in the Construction Industry
- Design Procedures for Construction
- Construction and Maintenance of Buildings
- Health, Safety and Welfare for Construction and the Built Environment
Units for 2018 will differ and will be confirmed when available.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed in a variety of ways, including written assignments, work-based practical assessment, portfolio
development and presentations.
How will the course be delivered?
It will be delivered through a mixture of workshops, taught sessions, lectures, independent learning and work-based assessments.
All programmes are led and taught by experienced teaching staff who are vocational specialists. They are qualified, and often have extensive experience within the industry or the sector being studied. All teaching staff meet or exceed the requirements set by the awarding institute or body.
Staff profile: Alex Sheldon
Alex has spent many years in the construction industry. Working in roles ranging from carpenter to project manager.
- A level three qualification in construction or a related level three qualification
- College interview
Completion of the course can lead to the Level Five BTEC Higher National Diploma in Construction, other higher education such as the BSc (Hons) in Construction or employment within the construction sectors.
Validated by Pearson