Level One Diploma in Bricklaying
This is a College-based qualification designed to offer you a route into the construction industry and employment. It is a hands-on, practical course which is studied by people who want to be employed as bricklayers. The course consists of seven units, which are broken into underpinning knowledge and practical units. Given the practical nature of the course and the measuring and setting out involved, a range of mathematical and problem solving skills will be developed. If you work in the industry, you can build this course up into a full NVQ qualification by obtaining evidence of your abilities. For more information about this, ask to speak to a tutor.
What will I study?
- How to carry out safe working practices in construction
- Information, quantities and communicating with others
- Building methods and construction technology
- Basic bricklaying skills
- Basic cavity walling
- Contributing to setting out and basic masonry structures up to damp course level
How will I be assessed?
- Each unit has an end test
- A practical assignment
- Online test based on the seven units
- A minimum of two GCSEs Grade D/3 or above
- A satisfactory interview
- Satisfactory record of achievement/references
- Completion of the construction specific assessment and initial assessment
Interviews for full time courses starting in September are postponed, but don't worry - applicants will instead be given a formal offer of a place on a suitable course. Other entry requirements still apply.
Where you meet the entry requirements for your chosen course you will be accepted.
Where you do not meet the entry requirements for your chosen course, we guarantee you a place on a suitable alternative. See How to Apply for further details.
Completion of this course may act as a good preparation for an apprenticeship or as a stepping stone into the construction industry in a related role such as site labourer, semi-skilled employee or another "wet" trade. Brickwork is one of the "wet" trades and certain skills learned on this course could be transferable onto plastering or tiling.
You could progress onto courses such as:
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.