Level One Diploma in Painting and Decorating
This College-based qualification is a hands-on, practical course, which is studied by people who want to be employed in the decorative trades . The course consists of eight units, which are broken into underpinning knowledge and practical units. Given the types of tasks being undertaken learners require a range of mathematical and problem solving skills. If you work in the industry, you can build this course up into a full NVQ qualification by obtaining evidence of your abilities. For more information about this, ask to speak to a tutor.
This course is available as part of a full-time study programme for 16 to 18 year olds, and as a part time course for adults aged 19 and over. Please ask learner services for details.
What will I study?
- Apply basic paint systems by brush and roller
- Apply foundation and plain papers
- Erect and dismantle access equipment and working platforms
- Health, safety and welfare in construction and associated industries
- Knowledge of construction technology
- Knowledge of technical information, quantities and communication with others
- Prepare common surface types for decoration
- Produce standard decorative finishes
How will I be assessed?
Each unit has an end test
How will the course be delivered?
Practical workshops and theoretical delivery
- A minimum of two GCSEs at grade C or above (4-5)
- Or Level One Certificate in Basic Construction
- Satisfactory record of achievement/references
- Completion of the construction specific assessment and initial assessment
- A satisfactory interview
Completion of this course may act as a good preparation for an apprenticeship or as a stepping stone into the construction industry in a related role such as painter and decorato's labourer.-
You could also progress onto:
Level Two Diploma in Painting and Decorating.
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.