Level One NVQ Introduction to Professional Catering
This course is designed as an introduction to working in the hospitality and catering industry. You will have the opportunity to work in a busy kitchen environment, restaurant and bar.
What will I study?
- Practical training classes
- Theory work to support your practical evidence
- Food preparation and cooking - this is carried out in the College restaurant kitchens
- Food and drink service - this is carried out in the College restaurants
You will achieve the following qualifications:
- Level One Certificate in Food Preparation and Cooking
- Level One Certificate in Food and Beverage Service
- Level Two Award in Food Safety in Catering
- Functional skills/GCSEs
How will I be assessed?
You will build a portfolio of evidence and complete a series of on-line multiple choice questions. Practical assessments are always completed in the restaurant or the production kitchen so that you are performing at the level required for industry.
- A minimum of two GCSEs
- Satisfactory record of achievement and references
- Satisfactory College interview and a practical skills test
You could get a job in the hospitality and catering industry. You could work in a hotel, restaurant, public house, or a canteen. You may even work at sea. Most of our students enjoy the course and progress onto our Level Two NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery learners may also obtain a catering specific apprenticeship in the workplace.
You will need to purchase a uniform from the College supplier.
It is also advisable that learners purchase a practical cookery book to assist learning.
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.