Level Three Access to Higher Education Diploma - Health Sciences Pathway (Nursing) (part-time)
The aim of this course is to enable mature learners to gain entry to higher education. The Level Three Access to
Higher Education Diploma programme provides an entry qualification to a range of undergraduate programmes and
degrees at local and national universities.
What will I study?
There are several units of study that broadly fall into the following topics:
- Study Skills – including things such as research skills, academic writing skills
- Health Sciences – including communicable diseases, DNA and protein synthesis
- Psychological Studies – including development of the child, memory and psychopathology
- Social Sciences – including the role of the family and a research project
Each topic has units of study that have been created to give you relevant and sound academic knowledge to facilitate progression and your learning at university.
How will I be assessed?
The qualification you will receive on completion of this Access course is the Access to Higher Education (Health Professions) Diploma. To attain this, you must have 60 credits of which 45 have to be from level 3 units. Each unit is worth between 3 and 6 credits and has assessment criteria that have to be met through a variety of assessment methods like class work, group work, discussions, timed exams, presentations, essays, research and reports.
- A minimum of 3 GCSEs A*- C / 4-9 including English Language. Maths at Level 2.
- In addition GCSE Science may also be required for some career routes
- Level Two Diploma in Progression and GCSE English at grade C or grade 5 above plus a level two maths qualification.
- For people whose first language is not English, you must have GCSE English at grade C or grade 5 or above or IELTS 7 (International English Language Testing System)
- In addition a range of evidence will be considered when assessing the potential of an applicant to succeed on this course, such as life skills, previous employment, prior achievements and professional qualifications
You will be able to apply to do a degree programme at university in Nursing (all branches), Midwifery, Paramedic Science, Public Health, Health and Social Care, Operating Department Practice or other Health Studies related courses.
This course is validated by Certa.
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.