Level Three Foundation Diploma/Diploma/Extended Diploma in Art and Design (Fashion)
This qualification will provide essential skills in the methods and techniques required in the fashion and clothing industry.
This course is based around projects that give the opportunity to demonstrate development of visual and technical skills using a variety of methods. The programme will also involve some history of design, fashion and textiles and its practitioners with an emphasis on current designer and makers.
Weekly tutorials will inform learners of the career pathways that are available in this area of art and design. Learners are always encouraged to develop individual approaches to any project brief and to make informed choices as to preferred methods of working as the course progresses.. The course is designed to develop learners' design skills and confidence in the construction and embellishment of garments.
This course is available as part of a full-time study programme for 16 to 18 year olds, and as a part-time course for adults aged 19 and over. Please ask learner services for details.
What will I study?
You will study 12/18 units to include:
- Visual recording and communication
- Critical and contextual studies in art and design
- Managing a client brief
- Developing and realising creative Intentions
- Developing an art and design portfolio
- Materials, techniques and processes in art and design
- The creative process
Optional Units - (tutor requirments)
- Photographic materials, techniques and processes
- Graphics materials, t chniques and processes
- Interactive design materials, techniques and processes
- Fine art materials, techniques and processes
- Fashion materials, techniques and processes
- Fashion design
- Fashion promotion
How will I be assessed?
This course is assessed through externally set exams, practical activities and written coursework depending on the subject matter. Coursework and practical assessments are based on realistic workplace situations and live assignments where appropriate.
- Four GCSEs grade A*-C/4- 9 to include English
- Or level two diploma (merit)
- Or first diploma (merit)
- Or NVQ level two
- Or equivalent
Successful completion of the programme and its associated key skills will qualify you for entry onto a wide range of foundation degree or degree programmes in art, textiles and fashion at universities and colleges. This includes our related Level Four BTEC Higher National Certificates, - our Level Five BTEC Higher National Diploma in Art and Design (fashion) BA (Hons) Contemporary Media, Design and Production
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.