Level Three Diploma in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair Principles
This course builds on the level two subsidiary diploma/diploma course and looks at light vehicle maintenance and repair principles in greater depth and complexity. It is aimed at people who would like to go into work in industry as a diagnostic technician or in a supervisory role, or progress onto further study.
What will I study?
- Diagnosing and rectifying light vehicle engine and component faults
- Diagnosing and rectifying light vehicle chassis system faults
- Diagnosing and rectifying auxiliary equipment electrical faults
- Workshop management and control
Plus one specialist unit from:
- Inspecting vehicles
- Identifying and agreeing customer vehicle needs
- Overhauling mechanical units
- Diagnosing and rectifying light vehicle transmission and driveline system faults
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed by a range of techniques to include observation of practical activities in workshops, oral questioning, written reports and online testing.
- Four GCSEs grade A*-C/ 4-9
- Or level two diploma (merit)
- Or first diploma (merit)
- Or NVQ level two
- Or equivalent
Interviews for full time courses starting in September are postponed, but don't worry - applicants will instead be given a formal offer of a place on a suitable course. Other entry requirements still apply.
Where you meet the entry requirements for your chosen course you will be accepted.
Where you do not meet the entry requirements for your chosen course, we guarantee you a place on a suitable alternative. See How to Apply for further details.
This qualification could help you get a job as a motor vehicle engineer or a diagnostic technician and improve your career prospects if you want to move into a supervisory role. It could help you secure an apprenticeship or advanced apprenticeship or take more advanced courses such as IMIAL Level Four Certificate in Advanced Automotive Studies for Master Technicians.
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.