Level Three Diploma/Extended Diploma in Computing
The course is designed for students who wish to have a career in computing or progress onto a Foundation Degree in Computing or university. Learners will study for four or six mandatory units and six to ten other units. The course is equivalent to two or three A-Level.
This course is available as part of a full-time study programme for 16 to 18 year olds, and as a part time course for adults aged 19 and over. Please ask learner services for details.
What will I study?
- Principles of computer science
- Fundamental of computer science
- IT systems security
- Building computer systems
- Systems analysis and design
- Software development
Optional units (these are subject to available tutors):
- Computer games development
- Website development
- Mobile apps development
- Human computer interaction
- Managing and supporting systems
- Object oriented programming
- Relational database development
- Web application development
- Programmable devices and controllers
- Computer forensics
How will I be assessed?
This course is assessed through 2 or 4 externally set exams, practical activities and written coursework. Assessment methods used include exams, assignments, observations, presentations, displays and written reports.
How will the course be delivered?
Delivery will be in the classroom, alongside set independent work.
- Four GCSEs grade A*-C/ 4- 9 to include Maths and English
- Or level two diploma (merit)
- Or first diploma (merit)
- Or NVQ level two
- Or equivalent
BTEC diplomas are valued by employers, universities and colleges. Students go into careers in many IT-related disciplines. If you want to go straight into a job, you could work in systems analysis and design, software engineering, computing and website development. If you decide to go into higher education, you could do a Foundation Degree in Computing or degrees in subjects such as computing, e-business, games programming or software engineering.
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.