Level Three Extended Diploma in Sport (Performance and Excellence)
This course is for anyone wishing to pursue a career in the fitness industry or who wishes to progress to industry-recognized qualifications or degree level study in a related discipline. The core units provide a broad overview of the sports performance and the fitness industry while the optional units build on this by providing a more in-depth exploration of specific techniques. This course is equally suitable for school leavers and mature students.
What will I study?
- Principles of anatomy and physiology in sport
- The physiology of fitness
- Assessing risk in sport
- Fitness training and programming
- Fitness testing for sport and exercise
- Sports nutrition
- Psychology for sports performance
- Technical and tactical skills in sport
- The athlete’s lifestyle
Plus specialist units including:
- Sports coaching
- Practical team sports
- Current issues in sport
- Exercise, health and lifestyle
- Instructing physical activity and exercise
- Sports injuries
- Analysis of sports performance
- Sports development
- Sport and exercise massage
- Organising sports events
- Sport as a business
- Work experience in sport
How will I be assessed?
This course is assessed practically and through written coursework. Coursework and practical assessments are based on realistic workplace situations.
- A Level Two BTEC in Sport at merit level
- Four GCSEs at grades A* to C including English or mathematics
- Appropriate work experience
- Successful interview demonstrating motivation and commitment to the course
- An initial assessment
- References to support your application
You could go on to employment in the sport and leisure industry obtain a sports Apprenticeship or progress onto a higher education course. If you decide to go onto higher education you could take a degree in subjects such as sports studies, leisure management, sports coaching and teacher training or our Foundation Degree (FdSc) in Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences and BSc (Hons) Sports, Coaching and Health Sciences (Top-up)
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.