Level Two Certificate in British Sign Language
This qualification is designed to enable learners to develop their skills to communicate with Deaf people using British Sign Language (BSL) in a range of everyday situations. The qualification will allow learners to participate in longer and more varied conversations than at Level 1. The course will develop communication in BSL about real life, routine, and daily experiences. The learner will be able to deal with most routine communication and have enough understanding of grammar to cope with some non-routine communication. Learners should be taught a number of regional variations in sign language.
The specification has been designed to be consistent with the National Language Standards at Level 2.
This course is suitable for those who:
- Wish to achieve language skills at an intermediate level to improve communication with deaf people
- Deaf and wish to gain a qualification in their native language
- Family, friends and colleagues of Deaf people
- Progress from Level 1 study in BSL, and who may want to progress to more advanced levels of study in BSL at a later date
- Studying for personal development.
Course Code PF073/1C01
For more information on enrolling call 0345 120 0044.
What will I study?
The qualification is divided into three units, each of which can be achieved separately.
The units can be done in any order at any time, but it is recommended that the content of Unit BSL201 is covered before Unit BSL202 or BSL203.
To achieve the full Level 2 Certificate in British Sign Language, candidates are required to achieve all units.
- BSL201 Receptive Skills
- BSL202 Productive Skills
- BSL203 Conversational Skills
BSL competence standards include requirements for candidates to have sufficient sight, manual dexterity, facial and body movement to produce and receive BSL.
On completion of Signature Level 2 Certificate in British Sign Language, a wide range of further qualifications is available, including:
- Signature Level 3 Certificate in British Sign Language
- Signature Level 4 Certificate in British Sign Language
- Signature Level 4 Certificate in British Sign Language and Introduction to Interpreting
- Signature Level 6 NVQ Certificate in British Sign Language.
These qualifications would potentially lead an individual to various employment opportunities.
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.