Level Two Certificate in Preparing for Further Study in Health, Social Care and Social Work
'Returning to learning - it's never too late to go back',
The Level Two Certificate is designed for mature students who are returning to education. It could be that you have taken a break from education due to other commitments but now realise you would like the opportunity to gain the level two (GCSE equivalent) qualifications you missed at school, so that you can then progress on to level three programmes. You must be at least 19 years old and must have a genuine commitment to a full year of study. You will attend the course 5 hours of core subjects per week, for 36 weeks with the possibility of additional study hours for GCSE English and Maths. The course is timetabled over one day a week.
This qualification would help you with a career in nursing, social work and teaching.
What will I study?
- The three core subjects you will study are Psychology, Sociology and Biology. You will also be given the opportunity to study GCSE Mathematics and English alongside the programme
- Personal study skills, including developing reading strategies, improving punctuation and grammar skills and managing your own learning
- You will also study how to develop and use research skills, which will give you the necessary skills for completing assignments on the Level Three Higher Education Diploma course or other level three programmes
How will I be assessed?
Assessment methods aim to prepare students for study at level three and include coursework, assignments, presentations, essays and examination.
- An ability and a desire to study at GCSE level
- If you do not currently hold a grade 4 or above in English and Maths you will have the opportunity to study English and Maths alongside of this course
- For people whose first language is not English, you must have GCSE English at grade C or above or IELTS 7 (International English Language Testing System).
Interviews for full time courses starting in September are postponed, but don't worry - applicants will instead be given a formal offer of a place on a suitable course. Other entry requirements still apply.
Where you meet the entry requirements for your chosen course you will be accepted.
Where you do not meet the entry requirements for your chosen course, we guarantee you a place on a suitable alternative. See How to Apply for further details.
Successful completion of the level two diploma could lead to progression onto the level three programme.
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.