Level Two VRQ Diploma in Women's and Men's Hair
This course covers all the basic areas of hairdressing and offers a City & Guilds qualification.
This course is available as part of a full-time study programme for 16 to 18 year olds, and as a part-time course for adults aged 19 and over. Please ask learner services for details.
What will I study?
- Working in the hair industry
- Following health and safety practice in the salon
- Client consultation for hair services
- Shampooing and conditioning the hair and scalp
- Promoting products and services to clients in a salon
- Cutting women's hair
- Colouring and lightening hair
- Perming and neutralising hair
- The art of dressing hair
Plus additional units from:
- Creating an image based on a theme within the hairdressing, barbering and beauty therapy sector
- Displaying stock to promote sales in a salon
- Scalp massage
- Salon reception duties
- Plaiting and twisting hair
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is through observation of practical skills carried out on paying customers in the salon environment. Learners also participate in written and oral questioning or online multi-choice tests.
- Four GCSEs grade D/3 and above
- Or level one diploma
- Or introductory diploma
- Or NVQ level one
- Or equivalent
Where appropriate, any relevant previous experience or qualifications can be accredited towards the qualification.
This qualification could help you gain employment in salons as a stylist or continue onto an NVQ level two part-time
Additional mandatory qualifications for 16 to 18-year-old learners:
- Level Two Award in Cutting Men's Hair
- Functional skills
- Personal and social development
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.