Level Two VRQ Diploma in Women's and Men's Hair
This course covers all the basic areas of hairdressing and offers a City & Guilds qualification.
This course is available as part of a full-time study programme for 16 to 18 year olds, and as a part-time course for adults aged 19 and over. Please ask learner services for details.
What will I study?
- Working in the hair industry
- Following health and safety practice in the salon
- Client consultation for hair services
- Shampooing and conditioning the hair and scalp
- Promoting products and services to clients in a salon
- Cutting women's hair
- Colouring and lightening hair
- Perming and neutralising hair
- The art of dressing hair
Additional units include:
- Creating an image based on a theme within the hairdressing, barbering and beauty therapy sector
- Displaying stock to promote sales in a salon
- Scalp massage
- Salon reception duties
- Plaiting and twisting hair
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is through observation of practical skills carried out on paying customers in the salon environment. Learners also participate in written and oral questioning or online multiple-choice tests.
- Four GCSEs grade D/3 and above
- Or level one diploma
- Or introductory diploma
- Or NVQ level one
- Or equivalent
Where appropriate, any relevant previous experience or qualifications can be accredited towards the qualification.
Interviews for full time courses starting in September are postponed, but don't worry - applicants will instead be given a formal offer of a place on a suitable course. Other entry requirements still apply.
Where you meet the entry requirements for your chosen course you will be accepted.
Where you do not meet the entry requirements for your chosen course, we guarantee you a place on a suitable alternative. See How to Apply for further details.
This qualification could help you gain employment in salons as a stylist or continue onto an NVQ level two part-time course.
Additional mandatory qualifications for 16 to 18-year-old learners:
- Level Two Award in Cutting Men's Hair
- Functional skills
- Personal and social development
For start dates and fees, consult the relevant course guides below or you can request a prospectus by post.