Frequently asked questions

Below you'll find the answers to the questions we are asked most often. If you can't see the answer to your question below, please get in touch via our contact us page.

Jump to:


Applications and admissions process

How do I apply for a course?
To apply, simply find a course and click 'Apply' on the course page – this applies to full-time and higher education courses and apprenticeships only.

Alternatively, if you are due to leave school this academic year, you may have an account for the Log On Move On website, where you can apply for full-time further education courses and apprenticeships.

If you prefer, you can complete a paper application form - call 0345 120 0044 to request one - or attend an open event in College where tutors and guidance staff can advise you and help you complete your application.

What happens once I have applied?
Your application will be acknowledged by email.  You will receive an offer with any conditions for your course.  Your tutor will contact you to discuss the course.

What happens after I meet the tutor?

  • We'll keep in contact with you to inform you of your enrolment date and any other information relevant to your course.
  • You must confirm acceptance of your offer as soon as possible.  A reply slip will be enclosed with your offer letter.
  • Before you start we will send you details of financial support that you may be eligible for.

What happens if I'm home educated? 

If you're over 16 and home educated, and are interested in applying to study at East Riding College, please speak to one of our friendly and experienced guidance team who will be able to advise on your next steps.  Come to one of our open events to speak to tutors, guidance officers, meet current students and take a tour of the facilities.  

To make an appointment to speak to one of our guidance team, call 0345 120 0044

Student finance

Is free transport available?
Fully funded transport is available for 16 to 18-year-old learners living more than two miles away from their nearest place of study. Learners are expected to use an EYMS bus route. Other methods of transport may be supported but this cannot be guaranteed. Eligibility will be dependent on a financial assessment and individual need; income evidence will be required and will be assessed before tax and other deductions. For more information, visit our transport to college page.

Is funding for childcare available?
Learners under 20 years old at the start of the course should apply to the Care to Learn Scheme. Further information can be found at

Learners aged 20 and over can apply to the College for help with the cost of Ofsted-registered childcare during college timetabled hours.

Am I eligible to claim the College bursary?
Eligibility is dependent on your personal circumstances.  Application packs will be sent to successful applicants during the summer. For more information, go to our financial help page.

Will I get the money back for my kit?
Depending on your personal circumstances, the College may be able to assist with essential equipment/clothing required for your course. You will, however, have to pay for the equipment in the first instance and subject to your circumstances, attendance and progress on the course you may receive some funding.

How long will my application take to be processed?
We aim to process your application within 10 days, though this may take slightly longer at the beginning of term.  Please ensure you return your application form with all the required evidence as soon as you receive it.

How much will I get if I am awarded a Guaranteed Bursary?

More information on related issues can be found on our financial help, course fees and transport to college pages.


Enrichment and sport

Do you have a dedicated enrichment officer?
Yes we have a dedicated enrichment officer who constantly develops the enrichment programme for staff throughout the year. 

What activities are available?
There are many activities available at the College including sports teams, trips, bike and running clubs, and they’re open to everyone.

What sort of guest speakers come into College?
There are a wide range of guest speakers that come into college over the academic year.  They tend to be linked into awareness events that are held, such as Equality and Diversity Week, Healthy Week, Volunteer week. Guest speakers are also invited to tutorials to raise awareness of local and national issues which enhance your learning and development.

How do I get an NUS card?
You can apply on-line at to order your NUS extra card which entitles you to discounts in various stores and special offers. Once you have ordered your card online, it will be delivered to the College for you to collect.

What is the Help Crew?
The Help Crew is a group of students who are available to help and support new learners in their first year at College. They organise events throughout the year, including our Red Nose Day and Children in Need activities. They also attend College open events to discuss their experiences with students who are looking to apply. They are identifiable by their red hoodies.

How do I find out about activities?
Activities are advertised on Facebook, the College website, noticeboards around College, and through tutorials. 

Learner representatives
Why not become a learner rep and improve your learner experience? This is a great addition to your CV and the more you put in, the more you get out! Get involved and represent the views of other students to ensure you enjoy your time at East Riding College.



What can reception do for me?

  • Ask us anything to do with the College and your course, we will find you an answer
  • Provide learning agreements
  • Arrange guidance appointments
  • Provide information on your timetable
  • Provide information in respect of locating your tutor
  • Report your absences
  • Access first aid services
  • Report bullying or safeguarding issues in a confidential manner

When is reception open?
Our opening times and other information can be found on our term dates and opening times page.




When do I come to enrol?
If you are holding an offer, we will write to you to tell you when to come and enrol.

Please ensure you keep these dates available as it is essential you attend.

We also open for main enrolment at the start of a new term.  

What will I need to bring with me?
You will need to bring anything indicated on your offer letter, including exam certificates.

When do I pay for my course?
All payments must be made on the day of enrolment.

Can I pay in instalments?
Yes, you can pay in instalments. The finance office has two payment plans available over 3 or 6 months dependent on the duration of the course.  Instalment plans can only be set up for course fees of £300 or more.  A direct debit will be required for the payments and there will be a fee dependent on the plan you choose.  Further details are available from reception or the finance office.


Advice and guidance

What do I do if I have personal problems during the course?
Your course tutor can provide a listening ear, support and refer you when needed. The College also provides a guidance team and free counselling support.

Who can advise me if I have any concerns about College or my course?
Your course tutor can provide the on-course support you might need and guidance if you are experiencing any problems or difficulties with any aspect of College life.

Can I get advice on what to do when I finish my course?
Your course tutor will provide information on progression and types of jobs available to you in that subject area. The guidance team can provide extended support to ensure you are fully prepared when looking for jobs or entering higher education.

What is the difference between A-levels and vocational courses?
If you know what career you want then vocational courses can be a great opportunity. They allow you to study your chosen area in more depth and provide a good mix of academic and practical learning (mainly assignment-based). Level three vocational qualifications are at a level equivalent to A-levels and also give you points to enable you to gain access into higher education.

A-levels are similar to GCSEs in that they are generally exam-based with more of a focus on theory. Studying A-levels means you can keep your options open if you want to go to university but are not sure which career to choose.

Can I go to university if I do not take A-levels?
Yes, if you take a level three course in College you can get the relevant UCAS points you need for entry to university.

What is the difference between a full-time further education course and an apprenticeship?
If you start a full-time course you are choosing to stay in full-time education. You could be in College anywhere between two and four days per week. If you start an apprenticeship you start working and earning a wage – doing the job you intend to do your career in. Traditionally, you spend four days in the workplace and one day in College but this does differ depending on your choice of apprenticeship.

How do I become an apprentice?
You either need to be employed in that role or find an employer who is recruiting an apprentice. However, we can help you find employment as we have a number of apprenticeship job vacancies across a number of areas. Make sure your CV is up-to-date as it will help you when applying for positions

How much will I get paid?
It depends on whether you’re under or over 19.  The government sets pay and conditions for apprentices, but many get paid more than the minimum wage rates.

How many hours will I be expected to work?
You can work a maximum of 40 hours per week.

Higher Education FAQs

Can I study around my job?

Yes you can. Some of our courses are designed for people to do alongside work and working may be an advantage. It may be worth discussing your choice of course with your employer, if it’s work related. Many of our learners have their course fees paid or are supported by their employer.

Can I study if I receive benefits?

Possibly, on some courses. Please phone and ask to speak with a guidance officer for detailed advice before enrolling.

What about learning support?

Higher education students can access support for specific learning disabilities such as dyslexia, sensory impairment, dyspraxia and physical difficulties. This is funded through the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA). This support is free for those who are eligible and could help students with things like study skills, proof reading, extended loans for library books, specific computer software or mobility support. For further information please ask to speak to a guidance officer or disability adviser or visit for detailed information. All higher education students can use our Success Centres, for learning support such as research skills, assignment planning and proof reading.

What if I have additional needs?

We welcome students with disabilities, specific learning difficulties and medical conditions. Students with additional needs are considered for courses according to the same academic criteria as other candidates.

When will I get my timetable?

Timetables are set and communicated during induction week.  Programme leaders and tutors may give an indication of what the timetable looks like at interview or prior to enrolment, but this is subject to change at this stage.

What about accommodation costs?

Annual accommodation costs in the local area range from:

Scarborough:  £3640 - £4420

Hull: £3224 - £3952


Useful contacts

Child Benefit Office - 0845 302 1444 -

Child Tax Credits - 0345 300 3900 -

East Riding Families Information Service (list of registered childminders) - 01482 396469 - [email protected]

Youth Support Service (Bridlington) - 01482 391380

Youth Support Service (Beverley) - 01482 391300

East Yorkshire Motor Services - 01482 222222 -

Stagecoach - 01482 222333 -

Northern Rail - 0845 748 4950 -

Wilberforce Health Clinic - 01482 336336

Adolescent Sexual Health Nurse - 07590 304269

NHS Direct - 111

College counsellor 07572 167720